The name says it all that there is only two main components to this recipe, garlic oil and noodles.
However, there is this particular depth of flavor screaming it is not that simple! The secret lies in making garlic oil as the charm of the recipe comes from this assertive flavors of aromatic oil alone.
Typically, you fry the minced garlic in oil with a tad of turmeric powder to get a toasty, golden oil. But to achieve garlic noodles in restaurant quality or street vendor quality, to be precise, the recipe calls for elevated garlic oil. Just one additional step with an extra ingredient creates a significant difference.
The secret is to fry the garlic in chicken oil, which is rendered fat from bits of raw chicken skin and fat. Now this chicken-flavored, garlic-infused oil will grace the noodles with shine, fragrance and heavenly flavors.
Serving: 2-3 persons
Prep Time: 40 minutes
- 3 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 ounces (2 bundles) dried noodles, 1/8 inch wide
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 stalks of green onions, chopped
1. Preparing chicken-flavored garlic oil
- Remove the skin and fat from chicken thighs.
- Cut the chicken skin and fat into smaller pieces and sauté them slowly over low heat until the skins begin to brown. (Skins and fat from three chickens thighs yield about half cup of oil)
- Add the minced garlic and continue frying on low heat until golden and fragrant. Separate the garlic flakes from oil.
2. Making chicken toppings and soup
- Boil skinless bone-in chickens in 3 cups of water with 2 garlic cloves, ¼ inch ginger for 20-30 minutes. Season with some salt.
- Remove chicken thighs from the broth, debone and cut into tiny squares.
- Add sugar and chopped green onions to the broth to serve on the side as soup.
3. Preparing noodles
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add noodles and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain and rinse under cool water.
4. Final Assembly
- Toss the noodles in half of the garlic oil with soy sauce, sugar and 3 tbsp. of chicken broth till well coated.
- In individual bowls, add the garlic noodles and garnish with chicken, garlic flakes and green onions.
Burmese language lesson
- Si-Chet Khao-Swe
- Si-Chet –> Aromatic cooked oil, either garlic or shallot infused oil
- Khao-Swe -> Noodles